Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New You Minestrone Recipe

Good Morning!

After many visitors, much cooking and LOTS of eating, I am ready for this fresh, NEW YEAR!  Wow, it's been an exhausting (but fun) past couple of weeks!!!

Chris is back to work.  Dylan is back to school.  Lil' Peanut and I are slowly getting back into our normal routine. 

As mentioned in my previous post, our family is going to get into better shape for this New Year.  I don't like the term "dieting", and that's not really what we're doing anyway.  It's a LIFESTYLE change.  We can still have the food that we love, in smaller portions AND we will be a lot more active. 

So far, I've done really well with it.  I have been getting on the treadmill (almost) daily and already feel better.  I'm already down 1 pound!!!  I know, not much, but remember...I don't want to lose any weight...I just want to get a little more toned.  However, with exercise, I am sure to drop a few.  That's fine by me.

Are you trying any new recipes?  I love a great soup packed with lots of veggies.  Here is a twist on minestrone soup that I found.  I have never had this soup with cabbage.  It sounds pretty darn good.


  • 4-6 cups vegetable stock (you can make your own with onions, celery and carrots)




  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes




  • 1 large potato, cubed




  • 1 onion, chopped




  • 2-4 stalks celery, chopped




  • 2-4 carrots, chopped




  • 1 large head cabbage, finely chopped




  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (or be brave and mix your own blend, like I do!)




  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans




  • 1 large red or green bell pepper, diced




  • 3 cups fresh green beans (you can use frozen too)




  • 1 large zucchini, sliced




  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta or small pasta of your choice, such as shells




  • pepper to taste




  • Basically, add the ingredients in order given and bring to soft boil.  Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

    More recipes coming!

    Have a great day and stay warm!

    Jaime "Peanut's Mom"

    No comments:

    Post a Comment